LITTLE REID, BIG CITY #7

By Reid Faylor

So in the past week, things have not gone great, but I will say: damn good. My last blog post spoke of depression and “getting-super-down” on things, with the promise of a turn around. Indeed, that promise has been fulfilled.

Two weeks ago, I went through a period of extreme doubt in stand-up. But after my conversations with W. Kamau Bell, a few good shows, and some experimentation in the stand-up I do, I can fully say I am back and not only reinvigorated, but feeling a new-found love for stand-up. I’ve been feeling more comfortable at every open mic, doing new material, improvising, and hell, just having more fun on stage. I’ve even started getting onto some weekly booked shows, which has given me an escape from the tedium of open mic after open mic –I now have an audience to look forward to every once in a while.

I have had some realizations though. Namely: I’m not working hard enough. I’ve always felt this; I know the level of commitment I need to have. My girlfriend, for example, is an art major at Xavier University, and every week she has to pull all-nighters, spend at least one day of the weekend working every waking hour as well as most weekdays after class, and her professors still say this isn’t enough. I love comedy as much as she loves art I feel, but my drive can hardly match this, and it should. Last week, I performed four times. Granted, two nights were spent working on a treatment for a webseries, and some of the spots were longer, but I repeat: four times. Overhearing a conversation with James Harris, a wonderful and respect-deserving comic here, he mentioned that last week he did five spots. On Monday.

Yes. There is a hell of a lot more I should be doing.

I was writing as I heard this, waiting for a show to start, and struck by the moment, I wrote down exactly what I was thinking. Swears, at the time, seemed very necessary:

“Buckle down and fucking do this. How many did you do last week? 4. How many did James Harris do on MONDAY? 5. Buck the fuck up.”

If you noticed, I use the word buck when I feel serious. Also –I unintentionally rhyme. But the rhyming helps you remember all that shame and such. My youthful boy-body needs the tough talk, to get it motivated, to get me into it. My boy-body needs the harsh words. The sailor talk. Blue language.

So I’m doing more. I have to. This week I’ve already performed at more shows, plan to double the amount, I’ve started writing the moment I wake up every morning –I’m getting excited about it again. Whatever I went through two weeks ago was rough, but I’ve come out of it more dedicated than I was before. So I guess it was good. Yes. Sure.

Next week: back to despair! “Yeah, Reid, I missed you…” Yeah, I missed you, too, you consuming fire of sadness. I missed you real good.

Follow Reid on Twitter.

Comments

Pingback from Tweets that mention Comedy Blog From The Staff and Comedians of Rooftop Comedy — Topsy.com
Time: November 11, 2010, 11:01 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Rooftop Comedy, Rooftop Comedy. Rooftop Comedy said: New blog post: Little Reid, Big City #7. Follow @reidfaylors adventures as a newcomer to the NY comedy scene http://bit.ly/cCkZ8w […]

Comment from cris
Time: November 12, 2010, 6:34 am

Identity theft has become a major, major problem! And living without protection is like living in a crime infested neighborhood and not having protection on your home. You would probably at least have a really good guard dog and a fence right? Well, not protecting your identity today is the equivalent of living in that neighborhood and refusing to even lock your door. It’s so sad that it’s come to this, but there are always tradeoffs in life. Because we want better medical coverage and a nicer car we pay more to protect and insure them.
Likewise, with something as amazing as the World Wide Web there come tradeoffs also. One tradeoff for us having access to almost everything is that others have access to almost everything about us, our information. And that includes our personal information like social security numbers, banking information and even your medical and criminal history.
Luckily there is a fairly easy and affordable fix to this problem. It’s called identity theft protection. And the most obvious choice is identity theft shield. This top level protection is provided by a thirty year old company that has an unbeatable track record. And best of all it’s the most affordable. Right now you can lock your family into a special. If you protect yourself for only $12.95 they will protected your spouse for free. And children are only one extra dollar. To make this long comment even longer, that’s total family protection for as little as $13.95. And then you’ll have the meanest guard dog on the block watching over the most valuable thing you own – your family’s finances and their good names. Why don’t you take a look at http://www.idtshieldonline.com (this link goes outside odesk.com)

Comment from Brad Paik
Time: November 12, 2010, 3:00 pm

Reid:

I met you in Aspen when I was on the UM team with Andy, Trevor, and Linda. This blog has been fun to read! It’s really interesting to hear what it’s like in NYC. I just wanted to say, keep up the good work.

Now I feel lame.

Don’t die,
Brad

Comment from online degree
Time: November 15, 2010, 12:54 am

It’s nice that you shared this kind of post. I am sure many readers will benefit from it. Very informative and useful. Hope that you will always impart, great ideas. Thank you!

Comment from runes of magic gold
Time: November 17, 2010, 12:00 am

5% free gold for silkroad gold, rzppelz gold at http://www.gametradeeasy.com from Nov.5-Dec.5

Comment from Lulu Guinness
Time: November 24, 2010, 10:43 pm

great post…It’s very useful for us..Thanks.

Comment from trail blazers
Time: November 24, 2010, 11:25 pm

this an interesting blog and thanx to share….. keep it up

Comment from shower drain
Time: November 25, 2010, 7:28 pm

Manufacturer and suppliers of shower drain, sheet metal stamping, metal stamping, Equipment parts by OEM/ODM service with diversified schemes.

Comment from OCHEM4LIFE
Time: December 29, 2010, 9:08 pm

I am going to use the “Buck the *$!% up!!!” line with students in the future. Think it will work?

Comment from Shopping Bag Factory