Little Reid, Big City #3

by Reid Faylor

As I write this I am sitting in the La Guardia airport, waiting for a flight to return to Indiana, a place of soy and subdued racism from whence I was born. Considering I only came to New York with an air mattress and a suitcase, it is now time to go home and gather my worldly possessions, which I love and define me. I’m four weeks into the move –not a bad time to look back and evaluate.

Before the move, I had a lot of anxieties about coming out here. I didn’t know: anyone (kinda); where to perform; where to live; or how to get money. Now: I know people! I’ve gone so far as to recognize people on subways and street-walkin’, and there’s someone to talk to at every show. I know a couple venues to perform (mostly for free even) every night of the week, as well as some of the more popular booked shows to go and watch. I have an apartment, in a neighborhood with only the fewest of stabbings, and though my temp job is done, I actually earned money and have job prospects. Everything I worried about before coming out here resolved itself so simply it’s actually somewhat surprising –they were all pretty inconsequential, more intimidating than they should’ve been.

Not to say there aren’t problems being here. For example: a long-distance relationship! Contrary to what I previously thought, it turns out it’s not a cornucopia of pleasures and feel-goods. Rather, it’s more a wicker basket type structure, full of late-night phone calls, anxiety, and difficult emotions. It’s worth it, but by no means necessarily fun. Also: work! Aside from waking up early and being drained from a day of toil, the commute from New Jersey to New York has been so long at times (read: five hours) that it’s made me miss shows. Thankfully it only lasted for two weeks, and now I know what to consider in my new job search, ideally something with a better commute, more time to think.

A little girl in the airport is chasing a bird along the ground. You’re not going to catch it. You are a dumb little girl. Now your mom’s yelling at you and I hope you feel bad.

It’ll be interesting to get home and see what my perspective is –what will seem different, how it’ll feel being back in familiar terrain. Won’t really get a chance to do much comedy performing this week, though the time to write will be very welcome. I wonder how it’ll feel returning to New York in a week; it’s been good being there, but I wonder if in my mind I was still treating it as a long vacation. Yippee!

And now: guest sentences from my comedian roommates!

Andrew Short (performed with Mike Veccione, neatly trimmed nails): Reid, I’m not here. You’re alone in La Guardia. I’m not even here.

Seeing as Andrew went over his time, his guest sentence will not be returning next week. Dave Waite’s sentence will be up for another go though.

Comments

Pingback from Tweets that mention Comedy Blog From The Staff and Comedians of Rooftop Comedy — Topsy.com
Time: September 28, 2010, 8:11 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Rooftop Comedy, Reid Faylor. Reid Faylor said: RT @RooftopComedy: Just posted to the Rooftop Blog: Little Reid, Big City #3 by @reidfaylor http://bit.ly/c9gJyg [...]

Comment from John Faylor
Time: September 29, 2010, 8:57 am

Does your accusation of subdued racism not make you Hoosierphobic?

Comment from Four Seasons Business Solutions
Time: October 2, 2010, 7:18 pm

Very interesting article! I would like to come back here again to read such useful article like this one. Thanks for posting .
WITH REGARDS
VICTOR

Comment from breitling
Time: October 4, 2010, 9:13 pm

Our Swiss movement watches,when designed,has already included outstanding connotation,noble makings,excelsior

model.The swiss movement

comes from the same place as the original ones.Unique sapphire mirror surface,18K gold crustification dial

and strap,each detail is the acme of perfection,flawless.It can be called the super exemplar,can make

the wearer much more charming,can embody the wearer’s excellent taste for fashion.Symbolic crown Logo

make you the attention of the Public casually.

Comment from E20-001 dumps
Time: December 31, 2010, 3:20 am

I found this is an informative and interesting post so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing ability has inspired me. Really the article is spreading its wings rapidly…

Comment from 70-685 dumps
Time: December 31, 2010, 3:21 am

Thanks for the list of apps. I will have to try and see if any of these will help me with the design and layout that I am wanting to do for a new website. I am excited to get in and start playing around with these different apps!

Comment from 642-873 dumps
Time: December 31, 2010, 3:47 am

This is nice blog.I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.Thanks for nice info. It’s useful for me. Can you give me some more information with details? I will wait for your next post.

Comment from testking 642-681
Time: January 12, 2011, 11:10 pm

Marshall said she was aware the program received a phone call from the judge in December saying she wanted Lohan to attend classes each week. But Marshall added that she never got a paper copy of the order and did not consider it active.

Comment from testking JN0-331
Time: January 12, 2011, 11:11 pm

The judge said she would honor what she told lawyers for both sides in a closed meeting last month and not allow the negative report to be used at the hearing.

Comment from asa
Time: February 16, 2011, 6:06 am

[url=http://www.debtnegotiationbusiness.com]Work at Home Opportunity[/url]
[url=http://www.debtnegotiationbusiness.com]Debt Negotiation Business Opportunity[/url]
[url=http://www.debtnegotiationbusiness.com]Debt Settlement Business Opportunity[/url]

Comment from liberar movil
Time: March 19, 2011, 3:39 pm

Admire your bravery to get start in your home country.Wish you success and happy.